I recently read over some of my posts and realized I wasn’t following the advice I give clients. So in order to hold myself to my own best practices, I thought I should document them here.
Anatomy of a good post.
- Take a piece of news, information or personal experience,
- provide context and a link to something related,
- add your personal point-of-view, insight or personal relevance,
- summarize, conject or ask a question.
I think Frank Shaw’s Glass House blog does a great job sticking to this formula.
Some additional rules of thumb:
- avoid essays, the occasional one is okay
- on team blogs, try to keep a consistent theme or string of themes
- don’t over think it
- give some link love — it helps with SEO