I recently came across some tips for entertaining in a copy of an old cookbook. 40 years have passed and the party may have moved online, but the rules really haven’t changed. A few minor updates and you have guidelines for creating great digital experiences. Digital marketing is a lot like entertaining; the best experiences are the ones where your guests walk away feeling like the conversation was engaging, the entertainment lively and the experience fulfilling:
- Create surprises.
- Engage as a member of the community, not as a vendor to the community.
- Create participatory moments or conversation, rather than just sharing info.
- Deliver what people want or need. If you must deliver what you want or want to tell, make sure there is a payoff.This is especially true in video.
- Avoid gratuitous gimmicks; stick with gimmicks that map to your message and will inform/entertain/amuse your guests.
- Invite your employees, friends, partners and family to the party; they are the best source of “viralness” and your best storytellers.